Saturday, April 7, 2012

Burger Girl, We Hardly Knew Ye

So a while back (within 2 years - I have the world's worst memory, ask my ex GFs), I drove by a not-yet-open restaurant named Burger Girl.  They had a sign & a cool mudflap girl logo but that was about it.  It was located in a nondescript shopping center between The Egg & I and Chipotle on W. Sahara.

I discovered this whilst at lunch, and as soon as I returned to my desk, googled them.  3 locations in Texas, and 1 (Coming Soon!) in Las Vegas.  Huh.

The first thing that went through my mind was "what are they thinking!?!"  The Sahara/Decatur intersection has seen dozens of businesses close shop in the past 2 years.  If chains like Red Robin, Chilis & Black Angus can't weather this stormy economy, what is the likelihood a small biz newcomer could?  Sure the rent might have been cheap, but you're going to need some customers to pay the rent.  Best to pay a little more for a location that is in proximity to where people gather.

When the (Coming Soon!) was not soon enough for my tastes, I emailed the BG HQ to ask them to hurry that shit up.  They replied it would be a few more months.  Okay, fine.

A half-dozen months pass, and I send another email.   No reply this time.  I noticed their website had been updated to show only 2 current locations, plus the ever-lovin' (Coming Soon!).  Sadly in the last month or so, the LV location has been removed from their site, to be replaced by johnny-come-latelys Rockwall & Forney (those are names of cities, folks.  Texas y'all).

Oh well, there was a singularly stellar (1-star) review of their Dallas location, so maybe we aren't missing much.  I bet the Egg & I folks are happy (and Zia Records staff are bummed).

On the bright side, when I googled Burger Girl Las Vegas, one of the top returns led me to a nifty foodie blog called GreedyGirl.  She posts a few times a month, usually about something cool and Vegas-y, with lots of pics.

In closing:  I created this post when I should have been exercising.  I'm fucking despicable.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rowdie Richie. This is Greedy Girl. Thanks for stumbling across my blog. Glad you thought it was "nifty." I too was looking forward to checking out Burger Girl. But, I guess, if they're only bringing in 1 star reviews, we're better off without them. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G-Girl! You may be right about being better off without them. Vegas already has plenty of lackluster eateries. My hope is that maybe their digs already has a kitchen in place, and someone else swoops in to save the day.

      Delete