Tuesday, April 10, 2012

If I Throw Out The Fish and Frozen Peas, I Can Fit More Ice Cream in There

Did you ever hear the saying "Inside every fat person, there's a skinny one trying to get out?" Well how skinny are we talking?  I'm on a mission to meet that person.  Will he be like a Fight-Clubbing Brad Pitt?  A Sally Struthers hard luck case Christian Bale from The Machinist?  Or nicotine fiend Matt Damon from that crappy Desert Storm movie?  (Career advice to Meg Ryan: Tom Hanks or Billy Crystal=yes; everyone else=no)  As long as the skinny in-me isn't played by Jonah Hill, I'm okay with it.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems in my world, people are starting to pay more attention to their obesity.  Oh we always know someone who's on a quest to lose a few, that is a given.  However in the past few years I have at least 6 friends/acquaintances who've managed extreme loss (100+ lbs) through various methods.  (The fact that I know 6 people who needed to lose that much seems bizarre - the anomaly becomes the norm?)  Some changed their eating habits and exercised regularly.  Some had some type of food-restrictive surgery.  The results generally have been very positive, with at least one case being absolutely amazing.

Myself, I've been riding the fat kid pony my whole life.  I don't think I've ever been normal weight, according to any established guidelines.  I've been "husky" at times, and also been told that as soon as a growth spurt hits, my fat will be redistributed to create a more pleasing shape.  Lies, all lies.

So for 40-odd years I've been planning to make my move.  I wish I could say I've been planning well. I've attempted diet & exercise routines about 3-4 times as an adult.  Each time I had great results initially, but eventually went astray (just for today, I swear!), then resigned myself to failure (only realizing it after the lost pounds had returned).

Then something totally out of the blue happened.  Something I never in a million years thought would happen to me.  I found something useful on the internet.

Cliffhanger, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment